Scope of Services
Student Legal Services (SLS) provides counsel and guidance on student rights and obligations related to numerous areas of California law, including landlord-tenant disputes, criminal infraction or misdemeanor citations, actions in California Small Claims Court, credit card debt and/or collection actions, auto accidents and insurance, personal injury, and family law.
SLS does not provide representation or advocacy on behalf of individual students with regard to their potential legal claims or disputes. If your situation requires legal representation, SLS will help refer you to appropriate resources. SLS counsel and guidance is limited to California law. SLS cannot advise in any matter that may be governed by the laws of other states.
SLS Policies/Limitations on Services
- SLS offers its services only to students who are currently registered and enrolled at UC Berkeley or, during winter or summer break, were registered in the the immediately preceding (fall or spring) semester.
- SLS provides counsel and guidance only, and does not offer representation or advocacy on behalf of individual students with regard to their potential legal claims or disputes.
- SLS counsel and guidance is limited to California law. SLS cannot advise in any matter that may be governed by the laws of other states.
- Other than providing basic information and referrals, SLS cannot generally advise in matters related to tax, immigration, patent, workers’ compensation, or medical or legal malpractice.
- The services offered by SLS are available only to individual students. SLS does not assist partnerships, corporations, associations, or organizations, nor does SLS assist students with their business affairs.
- It is within the discretion of SLS to determine whether the services provided by the office shall be limited, especially in cases where the attorney lacks expertise in the area and/or the time and resources required to handle the matter would unreasonably reduce the services available to other students.